Updated December 2, 2021
With roughly 98% of website visitors leaving unidentified, knowing how to leverage your website to convert anonymous website visitors into actionable sales leads is absolutely essential to driving sales and valuing marketing teams. So we’re walking you through how to leverage your website as a revenue-generating sales tool.
At the end of the day, without identifying and pursuing anonymous website visitors, what’s the point in driving website traffic in the first place? The thousands spent on google search and social media ads, the tens of thousands spent on the SEO specialist, the hundreds of thousands spent on the marketing team….what’s the point if we’re only tracking 2% of website visitors?
Why don’t we make the marketing team look a little better and give your hungry sales team a proper meal? In this article, I will cover the following:
- How to create effective engagement points on your website
- The best website visitor tracking software and how to use it
How To Leverage Your Website:
Create Engagement Points
Perhaps the most obvious, cheapest, and yet most overlooked way to actively convert website visitors is creating proper engagement points. While many companies litter their website with disorganized email signups, it is important yours adhere to the following rules:
- Ensure your email signup is high up on the visual hierarchy of the page – whether because of its size, color, or imagery.
- De-clutter site layout and streamline site navigation. Avoid using tacky, flashy banners or drop-down menus, and focus the visitor’s attention on what matters.
- Website visitors can be hesitant to just give away their email, so it is important to tell them what they are getting in return.
- Provide a discount or free trial, being as specific as possible. You can even tell them how often you will contact them, how long their trial will last, or about future campaigns. Including a blog doesn’t hurt either, it will add ‘free’ value and keep visitors on your site longer. You can even exploit your naive, doe-eyed interns to do all the work.
Establish Your Credibility
- You’ve almost reeled these skittish visitors in. The final step is to establish credibility.
- Let them know you’re legitimate by adding a testimonial, or by letting them know they are joining the ‘1,000 +’ people who also receive these emails.
We recommend your engagement points (assuming they adhere to the above rules…) take the form of the following:
- Quizzes, Polls, Surveys
- Chatbots (we touch on that more in this white paper.)
- Offering Free Trials and Discounts
Take Advantage of Website Visitor Tracking Software
Ah, the website visitor tracker, a severely underestimated, underused tool that transforms websites into revenue-generating sales tools overnight. This is by far the most effective way to quickly identify website visitors, and, assuming you are using a well-developed service, provides actionable leads daily to your sales team.
While many companies offer some version of website visitor tracking, most fail to provide extensive, reliable, actionable information, and simply piggyback off of the google analytics platform and create little added value.
LeadLander, on the other hand, utilizes its own software, allowing the platform to identify more leads than competitors, provide detailed website visitor information (in real-time), create customizable feedback, and keep your sales team fed with a steady stream of instant, daily, and weekly emails identifying actionable, qualified leads. This platform speeds up the sales cycle, fills up the sales funnel, and aligns the marketing and sales team in perfect harmony. Here are some more highlights of Leadlander’s platform that not only ensure visitor identification but also provide actionable and consistent sales leads:
- Powerful, Intuitive Dashboard
- With information readily available at your fingertips including recent visiting companies and in some cases, recent individual visitors, you have a snapshot overview of who’s visiting your website.
- Detailed Website Visitor Information, In Real-Time
- LeadLander provides specific details about each visitor on your website, their journey through your website pages, as well as company details including website, address, and phone number. This powerful information arms sales, business development, and marketing teams with the strategic insight to focus on their prospecting and lead follow up initiatives to maximize sales opportunities.
- Identify your Highest Valued Website Pages
- With LeadLander, you are able to identify the pages most viewed by your website visitors to validate the success of your inbound and outbound marketing automation efforts.
- Instant, Daily, and Weekly Email Notifications
- From instant email alerts when tagged companies visit your website to daily summaries of website visitors and weekly summary reports, receive real-time email notifications containing valuable information without ever logging into the system.
LeadLander not only identifies potential clients but actively arms your sales team with a wealth of information to target potential customers. However, if not paired with a proper sales process or follow-up strategy, having leads in your inbox won’t necessarily convert to sales and revenue.
Make checking out a breeze
If a website visitor gets to the point of wanting to purchase something from your company, you need to make sure the process is as easy as possible. There are a few things you can do to your website to ensure this.
The first is building an integrated shopping cart into your website. Shopping carts give you a ton of room for customization, while payment platforms like PayPal are often limited in this area.
You may also want to consider integrating an eCommerce platform into your website. These platforms provide helpful reporting information, which could help you optimize both your offerings and how you display them.
Optimize for SEO performance
When your website is optimized for SEO performance, it ranks higher in Google searches relevant to your business. This is important because about 30% of global website traffic comes from search. That means your SEO performance accounts for about a third of your website’s overall search performance. And the more visitors you’re able to get to your site, the lower the percentage of overall visitors you need to convert to reach your sales goals.
There are different ways to optimize your site for SEO performance. One of the most effective strategies is to add a blog to your site if you don’t already have one. Writing about topics relevant to your industry will help you rank higher for essential SEO terms.
The general idea should be to build blog content around keywords or keyphrases that you want to rank for. Do this regularly, and you should start to see a noticeable uptick in your traffic.
Upsell and Cross-sell
Another way to generate additional revenue through your website is to use it to upsell and cross-sell products to people who are already planning on buying from you.
Recommend products to people when they’re in the middle of the checkout process. To guide the right products, you will track purchase data to see what people often buy together.
You can also create more expansive versions of the products you already offer. Then you can attempt to upsell customers on a better understanding of a product they’re already thinking of buying.
Other strategies for generating more revenue through your website
Monitor your bounce rates
Your website’s bounce rate is the percentage of people who visit a page on your site and then leave without going to any others. Sites with high bounce rates tend to perform worse from a revenue generation standpoint, so one of the best things that you can do is focus on bringing down your bounce rates. Here are some strategies to help:
- Analyze page-specific performance metrics to see which ones are bringing you down
- Make your content easier to read with more breaks
- Create more compelling calls to action
- Optimize your landing pages
Create and regularly update a blog
Generating more revenue through your website brings more traffic to it. And few things are as effective at doing that as a good blog.
Blogs can bring people to your site in a few different ways:
You can create blog posts that target certain SEO keywords relevant to your target audience. The goal is that a person sees your link when they search for the term on Google and then visits your website to read the post.
You can also share your blog posts through your social channels. And that can be an effective way to bring people from those platforms to your website.
Add targeted prompts
If you want someone to take a certain action on your website, you need to prompt them. So another strategy for generating more revenue through your site is making those prompts a priority.
Your website traffic analysis might show people tend to leave once they scroll down a certain percentage of your pages. You could launch a pop-up ad right before a visitor hits that point of the page to try and convert them before they go.
Giveaways can be an extremely effective way to get more people interested in your website, which is the first step towards converting them into paying customers. As long as you’re giving away something your target customer finds valuable, you should have no problem getting more traffic to your website with targeted giveaways.
People don’t want to part with their hard-earned money unless they’re confident that what they’re getting in return will truly satisfy their needs. It’s why most of us only ever buy products from brands that we trust.
So if you’re not converting as large of a percentage of your website visitors as you would like, it’s possible that people just don’t trust your company enough to actually make a buy. It means you could generate more revenue through your site by gaining that trust.
There are a few different ways to build trust with your site visitors. One option is creating case studies that highlight real success stories for existing clients. If you can create a case study for a brand that’s familiar and trusted among your target audience, that should go a long way towards building the trust that you want.
You can also share things like testimonials and reviews to further bolster your reputation.
Well, there you have it – how to leverage your website for maximum revenue-generation: The SEO specialist is now seeming a lot more useful, your marketing efforts are actually converting into sales and revenue, and your website has become a revenue-generating sales tool, not just a flashy thing you show your friends when they ask where you work. Your well-designed engagement points are encouraging conversion, and you are taking advantage of Leadlander to fill up your sales funnels. Get on out there, land some sales, and give me some stock options later. Happy hunting!